Facebook-Friendly HTC Status Comes to AT&T This Summer
While no one is sure if Facebook will ever put out their own branded phone, they may not have to thanks to the new HTC Status, coming to AT&T this summer. With its 2.6″ touch screen and imbedded keyboard, the Status was designed to be portable–but the big news is that it’s the first mobile device to feature a dedicated Facebook button. Simply pressing the button instantly posts photos and text your wall; long-pressing the Facebook button will automatically “check in” your location. The Status features front and rear cameras for easily taking photos and self portraits, and even has a “smart ringer” that uses its accelerometer to quiet the ringer as soon as you pick the phone up. The Status runs Android 2.3 and features HTC’s brilliant Sense interface. Suffice it to say, if you’re a Facebook junky, the Status will be your must have device of the summer. We’ll have a full review as soon as we get our demo unit; until then, check out the press release after the jump for more details.
Today, HTC launched a new page on Facebook, all about the HTC Status, coming exclusively to AT&T this summer. You know those priceless moments with your friends on Facebook—that quick pic, inside joke, or perfectly timed post? The first device with a Facebook share button, the HTC Status ensures those moments happen more often, keeping you at the center of your social circle. The HTC Status lets you share just about anything with just one touch, including music, photos, location and status updates. HTC Status also features a chat widget that allows you to, at a glance, see when your friends are online. You can start a live instant chat and juggle between as many private conversations as you want, all straight from the device.
“HTC Status brings a Facebook experience to people who want to share their experiences with their friends faster and easier than ever before,” said Jason Mackenzie, President, HTC Americas. “With a dedicated Facebook share button combined with the hallmark HTC Sense experience, HTC Status makes it easy for people to stay connected to the things that are important to them.”
Dedicated Facebook share button
- One touch to share- Press the Facebook share button from your home screen to instantly post on your wall.
- Snap, shoot, share- Take a picture or shoot a video and share it instantly with a press of the Facebook share button. You can even post pictures automatically as you’re taking them..
- Quick-on-the-draw check-in- Just long press the Facebook share button to check in your location with Facebook Places.
- Be first with the news- See something cool on the web? Share your latest find with a quick press of the Facebook share button.
- Post to your wall – or a friend’s wall – From the home screen, a quick tap of the Facebook HTC share button makes sharing anything on your mind quick and easy.
- Share what you’re listening to- The Facebook share button glows when you’re listening to music, to let you know you can share. Let your friends in on the music you love with the push of a button.
Lock screen shortcuts
Instead of a barrier, the HTC shortcut lock screen just became a launch pad to what you want to do now! Open your favorite apps by just dragging their shortcut icons into the lock screen ring.
See what’s happening before you pick up
Every time you get or make a call, you see your friend’s profile picture and latest status update right on the call screen. If it’s their birthday that week, you’ll see that, too.
Special effects for photos and videos
Anyone can be an artist. Use camera effects to make your photos and videos look like they’ve been taken through special lenses and filters—like Sepia for an old-fashioned look, or Aqua for a touch of cool. Apply effects right in the viewfinder, or apply them afterwards in the Gallery.
Front and back cameras
Take a spontaneous self-portrait or a quick cheek-to-cheek pic with your best pal on the VGA front-facing camera—or just double-check your hair with the Mirror app. With the 5.0 MP main camera with LED flash, you can capture every moment, with pictures or high-quality video.
A smarter ringer
The “Quiet ring on pickup” setting reduces the ring volume when you pick the phone up. The “Pocket mode” setting increases ring volume when your phone is in a pocket or bag, and then returns the volume to a reasonable level when you take it out.
- Platform: Android™ 2.3 + HTC Sense
- Display: 2.6-inch touch screen with 480 x 320 resolution
- Network: Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900
- Memory: 512 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM
- Processor: MSM7227, 800 MHz
- Battery: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery, 1250 mAh
- Camera resolution: 5 MP main camera with autofocus, VGA front-facing camera